BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS

2013-11-26 06:09:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS
From: Wolfgang Karall <lists+backuppc-users AT karall-edv DOT at>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:08:21 +0100
Hello,

On 13-11-25 20:22:44, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> An HP Microserver costs £200 if you get it when a rebate is running.
> Add in four disks and you've got a powerful BackupPC server /
> NAS. That's what I use at home as a media store. However, it helps to
> be comfortable configuring Linux services at the command line.

I can also recommend the HP Microservers, compared to a similarily
powerful NAS they're a steal and have plenty of power to run
BackupPC. Using a N54L for some time now at one location, and am getting
ca. 48 MB/sec for TransferMethod rsync onto a RAID5/LVM volume (mdadm).

But for small installations or slow links (backing up internet servers),
I've run BackupPC on old NAS like the QNAP TS409 or even the Buffalo
Linkstation Live (just don't expect to use a compressed pool).

Cheers
Wolfgang