BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS

2013-11-26 11:05:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:03:36 -0600
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
wrote:

>>My BackupPC server (dedicated old hardware) writes the pool to a NFS-mounted
>>share on the NAS.  All of the things that Arnold mentioned apply ... in all
>>honesty, I sometimes feel that it >would be better to just take an old
>>desktop box, dump a bunch of 3TB+ drives in, set up a software raid and let
>>it do it's thing.
>
> That's how we do it here.
>
> One might however discuss how wise it is to run potentially important backups
> on old hardware that might, or not, give up its ghost anytime. 8-)

Normally you'd use relatively new drives since they are cheap anyway,
and probably RAID them so a single drive failure is not a problem.
So, you just need a plan for how to move the disks to a replacement
box if the old motherboard or power supply fails.   If you use
software RAID1, that can be as simple as a USB adapter cable so you
can connect one of the drives to a different host or VM where backuppc
is installed for emergency restores.   Performance won't be great, but
you don't lose the files.