BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS

2013-11-26 11:21:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:01:22 -0500
On 11/26 12:31 , Sorin Srbu wrote:
> One might however discuss how wise it is to run potentially important backups
> on old hardware that might, or not, give up its ghost anytime. 8-)

My experience with NASes has been very mixed. Generally speaking, you get
what you pay for. If you buy a Netgear consumer-grade NAS, you may find that
one day it spontaneously loses all your data (had that happen). Buy an
IOmega, and every once in a while it'll flake out and stop working.

I think we have a Dell NAS that's been trouble-free. Possibly so
trouble-free that I am barely aware of its existence. I know the Netapp
Filers have been rock-solid... but at their price they better be.

My advice is to consider the costs of a NAS in relation to the value of
your data... and also keep in mind that sleepless nights for admins as they
fix things, and outsourced data recovery get *very* expensive.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator