BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS

2013-11-28 00:15:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 23:13:52 -0600
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
wrote:

>> Normally you'd use relatively new drives since they are cheap anyway,
>> and probably RAID them so a single drive failure is not a problem.
>> So, you just need a plan for how to move the disks to a replacement
>> box if the old motherboard or power supply fails.   If you use
>> software RAID1, that can be as simple as a USB adapter cable so you
>> can connect one of the drives to a different host or VM where backuppc
>> is installed for emergency restores.   Performance won't be great, but
>> you don't lose the files.
>
> Okay, so you  use not-so-old parts together with the old parts. Sounds
> reasonable. With enough oldish 80 GB-harddrives, software-raid, and given the
> chassis-space, I guess one could build a pretty impressive backup-server with
> BPC.

I'd go for new TB+ SATA drives even if you have to add a controller.

> BPC can handle USB(-connected) drives as well then? That opens up for some
> emergency solutions actually.

BPC doesn't really care about the interface as long as the filesystem
is mounted in the right place.  USB isn't as fast or efficient as
SATA, but it does work.   Backuppc needs to put the whole archive on
one filesystem - and if you want to be able to recover from one drive
out of a raid, the raid can only be RAID1 (mirrored).   For a long
time I ran a system where 3 drives were configured as a RAID1 but the
3 volume was plugged in long enough to resync, then rotated offsite.
And I had a VM set up on my laptop that could access the offline disk
with a usb adapter cable if I had ever needed to restore from it.  The
offices involved have more bandwidth now so I just run the backups
from an offsite location.