BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS

2013-11-25 15:23:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc on NAS
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:22:44 +0000
An HP Microserver costs £200 if you get it when a rebate is running. Add in
four disks and you've got a powerful BackupPC server / NAS. That's what I
use at home as a media store. However, it helps to be comfortable
configuring Linux services at the command line.

If that's daunting, install webmin as your GUI.

Tyler

On 2013-11-25 17:26, Kris Lou wrote:
> BackupPC has been installed on QNAP devices
> (http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_install_the_BackupPC_application), but
> there's a very real chance that bi-monthly firmware upgrades will break it.
>  That and the fact that we're waiting for QNAP to upgrade some packages to
> close some security holes means that it wasn't worth it for me to sit on a
> particular firmware for a long period of time.
>
> My BackupPC server (dedicated old hardware) writes the pool to a
> NFS-mounted share on the NAS.  All of the things that Arnold mentioned
> apply ... in all honesty, I sometimes feel that it would be better to just
> take an old desktop box, dump a bunch of 3TB+ drives in, set up a software
> raid and let it do it's thing.
>
> It'd certainly be cheaper.  Heck, for the price of some of these NAS's, you
> can build your 2nd server to backup your primary BackupPC server.
>

> Kris Lou
> klou AT themusiclink DOT net <mailto:klou AT themusiclink DOT net>
>

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM, zdravko <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT
> com
> <mailto:backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>> wrote:
>
>     Any suggestions which NAS has a "real" useful Linux, so that backupPC
>     could be installed? My thought was to run backuppc on NAS, so it is not
>     dependent on user clients. It can even chase clients to backup them
>     while being on. Another issue would be how to slow down backing up
>     clients, so people can work normally on their machines during backup.
>     NAS could backup itself at full speed, of course. Even using some
>     extra, cheap NAS only for backup seems useful.
>
>     +----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     |This was sent by zdravko.balorda AT gmail DOT com
>     <mailto:zdravko.balorda AT gmail DOT com> via Backup Central.
>     |Forward SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com <mailto:abuse AT
> backupcentral DOT com>.
>     Software experts and developers: Be at the forefront of tech innovation.
>     Intel(R) Software Adrenaline delivers strategic insight and game-changing
>     conversations that shape the rapidly evolving mobile landscape. Sign up
>     now.
>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63431311&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

> Software experts and developers: Be at the forefront of tech innovation.
> Intel(R) Software Adrenaline delivers strategic insight and game-changing
> conversations that shape the rapidly evolving mobile landscape. Sign up now.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63431311&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

"Should one decide to implement violence as a solution, it should be
applied without hesitation or relent until the issue is resolved. It is
to no one's benefit, save your adversaries, to half-beat someone."
   -- Henry Clyde Hatcher IV