BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing hard at Rsync

2013-11-25 19:24:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing hard at Rsync
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:23:05 +1100
On 26/11/13 11:02, derr12 wrote:
> Chris, i did it the way you suggested and it's now asking for a password when
> i ssh to the client machine.
>
> Adam; when I try and run it as the backuppc user i get:
>
>   $ ssh -l root cableweb3.ca whoami
> The authenticity of host 'cableweb3.ca (50.21.229.37)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is 3e:4c:c3:ac:96:a8:e0:8c:88:93:88:b2:e9:77:11:62.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts
> (/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/known_hosts).
>

> If it helps, im using ubuntu server 13.10 on the backuppc machine and ubuntu
> server 10.04 on the other.
>

> Also, because the backuppc user had no rights to generate keys at first.  I
> had to add the user to a few groups to actually get that ball rolling.

I think by default the backuppc user doesn't own /var/lib/backuppc/
which can cause some problems.

Try this:
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh
sudo chown -R backuppc /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh
sudo chgrp -R backuppc /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh

That will just attempt to create the directory (which probably already
exists, but just in case), and then sets the owner and group on that
directory plus all files/folders below it.

Try again to manually run the command again.

  $ ssh -l root cableweb3.ca whoami

Regards,
Adam
--