BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 11:07:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:05:34 -0400
For me, I use a backup client mainly for unique apps and data. Since most of my boxes run Debian, I have pretty much figured out the directories to backup/restore to save the box.

I back up the following Debian-related directories:

/var/backups
/var/cache/apt (less /var/cache/apt/archives)
/var/lib/dpkg
/var/lib/apt

I also have a cron job that writes the drive layout and package list to /var/backups.

So my process of bare metal restores is as follows:

1. Do a Debian base install.
2. Restore the packages that were installed prior to the incident, using dpkg --set-selections < pkglist ; apt-get dselect-upgrade
3. Set up backuppc user, keys, etc.
4. Restore data partitions from backuppc.

This works pretty well for me. I'm sure something similar could be set up with Arch, Fedora/CentOS/Redhat as well.

--b

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch> wrote:
Hy Pedro,

> Some time ago i wrote about thins in my blog, check it out:
> http://www.linux-geex.com/?s=backuppc&x=0&y=0#/?p=163

I read through your post, and it seems interesting and feasable (reading
without doing is much more complicated as it may seem when doing it)...
Can you thus confirm that your suggested way of recovering *is* working?

And, maybe slightly OT: what kind of benefits could I get from switching
over to use LVM?

Many thanks and kind regards,
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL