BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-11 02:33:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:30:59 +0200
Hy Bob...

[cut]

> Now, for those who will ask detail question about this, I
> have condensed my description to simplify the answer. My
> suggestion is that you need to learn about clonezilla live cd
> and use it to create this bare metal image. I have found this
> to be a simple solution for my computers. (My daughter's
> laptop & desktop, my wife's company work laptop, as well as
> my laptop and desktop. BTW, my wife's company IT people what

One thing that is missing in Clonezilla is the ability to resize imaged
partitions. If my HDD crashes, I tend to buy the most competitive one in
terms of "price:size" ratio. If the disk gets bigger, I guess there
would be "unpartitioned space" left (which would result in unused HDD
space). On the other hand, on some servers I need to size down, onto a
smaller disk: that's not feasable with Clonezilla, as for now... Any
suggestions (without going too much OT)? Eventually also on my email, if
it'd be OT.

Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21