BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 12:32:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: Bob Wooden <rewdn AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:30:11 -0500
For what it might be worth, I will add my two cents . . . . .

I have a very simplistic view of the backup process. First, I have
BackupPC running for weekly full backups and nightly incremental backups.

Also, every Sunday morning, I go to each computer with a current version
of Clonezilla live cd. This creates my bare metal backup option for me.

The Clonezilla backup image is "pushed" via ssh to my backuppc/ssh file
server. Should I have a catastrophic hardware failure (we all do some
times) I have a clonezilla image from the previous Sunday morning to
automatically (for the most part) re-create the machine on a new hard
drive (my last hardware failure situation.)

Then, depending on what day of week it is, I can restore the remainder
with BackupPC.

Now, for those who will ask detail question about this, I have condensed
my description to simplify the answer. My suggestion is that you need to
learn about clonezilla live cd and use it to create this bare metal
image. I have found this to be a simple solution for my computers. (My
daughter's laptop & desktop, my wife's company work laptop, as well as
my laptop and desktop. BTW, my wife's company IT people what me to tell
them how I can backup her laptop without loading any software onto it,
company policy and all. When I mentioned 'live cd' the IT people said,
"ok, no problem.")

--
Bob Wooden
Nashville, TN