BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 11:35:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:34:06 -0500
On 5/10/2010 9:59 AM, Boniforti Flavio wrote:

>> extract.  Then make sure that the restored /etc/fstab has the
>> right partition names and re-install grub so the new system will boot.
>
> That's the *perfect and precise* way of doing that...

Basically, if you know how you would restore with tar, you can do the
same with the BackupPC_tarCreate output.

>> If you want something more automated and can take the system
>> down occasionally, you can use clonezilla to make an image
>> copy of a working system once in a while.  It will restore
>> fairly quickly and automatically to similar hardware and you
>> can follow up with a backuppc restore to be completely up to date.
>
> I already know clonezilla, but how would I automate this piece of
> software to do complete images of my running server? Never knew it could
> work like that too... Could you explain a bit more?

I don't know how to automate it, but I'm sure it would be possible if
you had an alternate boot and could tweak the default grub setting to
flip to it, make the copy, then flip back.  Doing it manually you can
just boot from CD or USB disk, connect to the image storage location via
nfs, smb, or ssh, and do a whole-disk save.  The corresponding restore
will create the matching filesystems and fix grub for you.  I'm not sure
it is worth the trouble on Linux where you can work with the tar output,
but it is handy to get a windows system back to a point where backuppc
works again - and it is fairly fast since it only saves the used
portions of the disk.