BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 11:06:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: "John BORIS" <jboris AT adphila DOT org>
To: <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>,<backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:04:26 -0400
I would like to just clarify why I do it this way. When I first took
this job we did just that. get out the OS disks, rebuild the File
Systems, then do a restore from the tapes. It took us an entire day. I
also had to rebuild all of my user accounts and printers and shares as
the process they had been using called for that.

I then used the restore process in the backup software and it went to a
two hour job. Also with the ever changing hard drive sizes I could take
any new drive that inevitably was much larger than the one that went
belly up this software repartioned the drive accordingly for me.

Also it essentially is using Tar so in a pinch I could just use tar to
read a tape if I wanted.

So the driving factor here was my time. Instead of doing all of that
work, I could just swap out the drive, insert the media and let it roll.
During that time I could do other things that came up. The end result
also was peace of mind when a disaster happened.

Again this works for me as my systems are non RAID, one drive suystems
that could live quite well in a 2gb drive enviroment, but today I can't
do that.

Sometimes spending a little money up front (in my case $200 a server)
and then reaoing the benefit of time and sanity in the other end.