BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 11:02:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 16:59:50 +0200
Hello Les,

[cut]

> extract.  Then make sure that the restored /etc/fstab has the
> right partition names and re-install grub so the new system will boot.

That's the *perfect and precise* way of doing that...

> If you want something more automated and can take the system
> down occasionally, you can use clonezilla to make an image
> copy of a working system once in a while.  It will restore
> fairly quickly and automatically to similar hardware and you
> can follow up with a backuppc restore to be completely up to date.

I already know clonezilla, but how would I automate this piece of
software to do complete images of my running server? Never knew it could
work like that too... Could you explain a bit more?

Thanks and kind regards,
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21