BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 10:14:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:12:18 +0100
On Monday 10 May 2010 14:02:21 Josh Malone wrote:
> In practice though, I've found it takes lots of tries to perfect the above
> procedure and it's often easier to re-install the base OS and just restore
> critical config files, application files and data to the box. Bare-metal
> restores *sound* sexy, but really they're often just not useful.

I've done lots of bare metal restores with Bacula, BackupPC, and rsync.  The
process is simple:

1. Install base OS from install media
2. Install backup client (bacula-fd or rsync)
3. Restore

The only problem I've found is with files that may be installed with the base
OS but which you later removed or uninstalled.  These will persist after you
restore.  For instance, I routinely uninstall sysklogd and install syslog-ng.
If I do the above, I'll end up with both packages installed but with the
package manager not being aware of sysklogd. The solution is to remember to
repeat the install/uninstall before the restore.

That's only a problem for Bacula and BackupPC, neither of which have a concept
of rsync's "--delete" option.  Perhaps that would work with BackupPC, though.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"One of the Fifth Amendment's basic functions is to protect the innocent
men who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances.