BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 10:52:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:49:53 -0500
On 5/10/2010 9:14 AM, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hy there...
>> So with that you would restore with BackupEdge and then go
>> into your BackuPC repository to see what is outdated. Much
>> quicker in my setup.
>> Your pay back may be different.
>
> I'm not into *buying* a new piece of software, instead I'd really like
> to achieve "bare metal restore" with opensource software.

If you know your way around fdisk, mke2fs, and grub, you can boot about
any 'live' CD or install disk with rescue mode that lets you bring up
the network on the replacement machine.  Then you can make similar
partitions and filesystens, mount them somewhere into the running
system, and ssh a BackupPC_tarCreate command to the backuppc server to
generate the tar image(s) you need, piped to a local tar extract.  Then
make sure that the restored /etc/fstab has the right partition names and
re-install grub so the new system will boot.

If you want something more automated and can take the system down
occasionally, you can use clonezilla to make an image copy of a working
system once in a while.  It will restore fairly quickly and
automatically to similar hardware and you can follow up with a backuppc
restore to be completely up to date.