BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore

2010-05-10 09:04:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare metal restore
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:02:21 -0400
On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:02:53 +0200, "Boniforti Flavio"
<flavio AT piramide DOT ch> wrote:
> Hello list...
>
> I was wondering if I may be doing some sort of "bare metal restore" of a
> Linux server, if I'd be backing it up *completely* on my backuppc
> server.

Theoretically, a "bare-metal" restore should be possible by backing up the
entire filesystem. The restore procedure to a new piece of bare-metal would
be:

  1. Boot from rescue media
  2. Partition the new disk and mkfs it
  3. Restore the server image to the new disk (either by networked rsync
or untar'ing a tarball downloaded from the backuppc restore interface)
  4. chroot into the restored disk and install grub (bootloader)
  5. exit chroot, unmount new disk and reboot the system

In practice though, I've found it takes lots of tries to perfect the above
procedure and it's often easier to re-install the base OS and just restore
critical config files, application files and data to the box. Bare-metal
restores *sound* sexy, but really they're often just not useful.

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.