BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-09-01 13:33:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:27:38 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote:
> Peter Walter wrote:
>
>> Jim Leonard wrote:

>>> What is the problem with your cloud storage such that you can't use it
>>> to make a backup of BackupPC?  What cloud storage do you have access to,
>>> and what operating system and filesystem are you using to run BackupPC?
>>>

>> I have not (yet) come across a cloud storage provider who supports
>> hardlinks. The specific provider I was talking about is rsync.net.
>> For all the backuppc servers I (currently) administer, the OS is Centos
>> 5.x, and the filesystem is ext3.
>>

> Is there a limit to the file size?  Why not put an image copy of your archive
> filesystem in a file?  Or for an interesting variation, make a vmware vmx
> virtual disk split into 1 or 2 gig file segments locally, image copy to that,
> then rsync the segments off somewhere else.  If you are lucky, there won't be
> changes in all the segments on every run and by splitting it you greatly
> reduce
> the workspace needed by rsync as it constructs a new copy of each file before
> deleting the old one.   But can you live with the time it would take to copy
> your data back from cloud storage if you ever need it?

My objective is to administer a secondary backup server (for
second-level disaster recovery) which is dedicated to backing up primary
backup servers, where the primary backup servers are in seperate
domains, and the backup targets are only accessible by the primary
backup server for the domain. I selected backuppc for the primary backup
server because I like the pooling feature very much - in my environment,
the primary backup servers back up a mixed load of Windows / Linux / OSX
servers and workstations, and I have found that the pooling feature cuts
down a lot of the resources (bandwidth, space) required. In addition,
from my own observations, and from reading the comments on this site,
backuppc is *very* reliable and fairly easy to use. I suspect that I
will find that there exists a lot of redundancy within the files created
by the primary backup servers, and therefore I wished to take further
advantage of the pooling mechanism by using backuppc to backup backuppc
servers. Yes, there are a variety of other techniques I could use, such
as image copies, to back up a backuppc server, and I may end up using
them. What I don't understand is why such a great backup system such as
backuppc cannot reasonably be used to backup itself - it seems to me
that since backuppc "knows" it's own architecture, a way could be found
to do it efficiently. Since my objective is to do second-level disaster
recovery, allowing a day or two to restore a backuppc machine would work
for me - since the original hardware and the targets that were backed up
would have probably been destroyed in the disaster anyway, operations
may need to be moved to another site, etc. I think the locations within
which I have installed backuppc would be willing to wait for five days
for full functionality to be restored - meaning, the primary backup
machine being recreated, and the targets of the primary backup machine
being restored. Since, as I understand it, the hardlink usage in
backuppc is the primary reason why rsync cannot efficiently backup a
backuppc machine, I would be satisfied if the hardlinks were dumped
seperately, and a way to reconstitute them provided, with the pool(s)
being backed up as normal.

If a solution like that is not feasible, then I will have to consider
image copies of one sort or another of the primary backup servers.
However, there probably will be a limit to how many image copies could
be done in a day. With backuppc, as I understand it, the configurable
interval between incrementals and the pooling mechanism would allow me
to more or less continuously backup the primary backup servers.

If I have misunderstood anything about how backuppc could work in the
environment I suggest, please let me know.

Peter