BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-08 00:20:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:17:12 -0500
Leen Besselink wrote:

>>> prohibits that sort of program improvement unless all of the work can
>>> have the GPL terms applied.  There are some execptions for things that
>>> are part of the native OS but I'm not sure where an add-on sdk fits into
>>> the picture.
>>>
>> The SDk just facilitates the access to the API of the OS if you ask me.
>>
>> The API's already exists in the base install, VSS is a 'Windows service'
>> for example.
>>
>> But I have to admit, I'm not an expert.
>>
>> Do you think I should consult an expert ?
>>

> So Les, what do you think ? If you look at my current webpage ?

I don't know enough about GPLv3 to comment, but I'd expect it to
prohibit including any portions that can't be distributed under GPL
terms like v2 does.  Dynamic linking to expected OS libs is probably OK
if you don't have to include them.

>> I do know that this code already existed for a long time on the website
>> of the original author and no one took it down because of problems,
>>
>> And I just ported it to a newer version of rsync.
>>
>> Although I have to admit, rsync 2 was possible covered by GPLv2 and
>> newer and rsync 3 is GPLv3.
>>

> Having put more thought into this, I think it could mean in the worst
> case, that IF I'm not allowed (which I doubt at this moment) to
> distribute the compiled rsync.exe binaries, that it's still possible
> for people to build it themselfs. Just like their used to be a
> qmail-installed in Debian, which would compile it for you.

The problem is that most most Windows users don't have compilers.

> I could even make a shell-script. :-)

Would it be possible to build a separate binary which rsync could invoke
as needed or chat with over sockets?  If the parts aren't combined in
the same program it shouldn't be a problem.