BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-07 17:58:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Leen Besselink <leen AT consolejunky DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:55:07 +0200
> Have you verified that the terms of the MS libraries are such that you
> are allowed to redistribute a program covered by the GPL (like rsync)
> with it included?  I'm not a big fan of the GPL because it generally

Thank you for pointing that out, I was actually already thinking about that.

I know one thing, the way I put it up on the website is probably not allowed.

I included some files from Microsoft in the vss.tgz and vss-xp.tgz.

I forgot about that, because this is just a development-version that I made.
I will have to change that. And I will do that today or in the following days.

The resulting binaries won't be any different, just the download and
build-instructions.

I'm already working on that right now.

> prohibits that sort of program improvement unless all of the work can
> have the GPL terms applied.  There are some execptions for things that
> are part of the native OS but I'm not sure where an add-on sdk fits into
> the picture.

The SDk just facilitates the access to the API of the OS if you ask me.

The API's already exists in the base install, VSS is a 'Windows service'
for example.

But I have to admit, I'm not an expert.

Do you think I should consult an expert ?

I do know that this code already existed for a long time on the website
of the original author and no one took it down because of problems,

And I just ported it to a newer version of rsync.

Although I have to admit, rsync 2 was possible covered by GPLv2 and
newer and rsync 3 is GPLv3.