BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-07 13:47:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 12:43:48 -0500
Leen Besselink wrote:
>> Definitely sounds like a very helpful tool and if it works it should
>
> It's not really a tool, it's integrated in rsync itself. ;-)
>
>> avoid a lot of the kludges associated with other methods (such as the
>> recursive script I wrote to automatically launch VSS and rsyncd based
>> on an arbitrary rsyncd.conf file). I too am a bit surprised it works
>> in XP since XP has a rather broken notion of VSS that does not allow
>> easy access to the shadow mounts (I had to use a separate program
>> called dosdev.exe to associate shadow mounts with accessible drive
>> letters). Also vshadow.exe for XP seems to have different parameters
>> and more limited functionality than versions for Vista and later
>> Windows Server releases.
>>

> Microsoft has a SDK which has seperate include files and library files
> for XP and Windows 2003 (and newer: Vista, 2008, 7).
>
> I compiled 2 binaries, one for XP and one for Windows 2003 and newer.
>
> Have a look:
>
> http://www.consolejunky.net/cwrsync-vss/

Have you verified that the terms of the MS libraries are such that you
are allowed to redistribute a program covered by the GPL (like rsync)
with it included?  I'm not a big fan of the GPL because it generally
prohibits that sort of program improvement unless all of the work can
have the GPL terms applied.  There are some execptions for things that
are part of the native OS but I'm not sure where an add-on sdk fits into
the picture.