BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-07 18:15:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Leen Besselink <leen AT consolejunky DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 00:12:34 +0200
Leen Besselink wrote:
>> Have you verified that the terms of the MS libraries are such that you
>> are allowed to redistribute a program covered by the GPL (like rsync)
>> with it included?  I'm not a big fan of the GPL because it generally
>
> Thank you for pointing that out, I was actually already thinking about that.
>
> I know one thing, the way I put it up on the website is probably not allowed.
>
> I included some files from Microsoft in the vss.tgz and vss-xp.tgz.
>
> I forgot about that, because this is just a development-version that I made.
> I will have to change that. And I will do that today or in the following days.
>
> The resulting binaries won't be any different, just the download and
> build-instructions.
>
> I'm already working on that right now.

OK, done. phew, I think I'm in the clear. :-) Thanks again for reminding me.

>> prohibits that sort of program improvement unless all of the work can
>> have the GPL terms applied.  There are some execptions for things that
>> are part of the native OS but I'm not sure where an add-on sdk fits into
>> the picture.
>>

> The SDk just facilitates the access to the API of the OS if you ask me.
>
> The API's already exists in the base install, VSS is a 'Windows service'
> for example.
>
> But I have to admit, I'm not an expert.
>
> Do you think I should consult an expert ?

So Les, what do you think ? If you look at my current webpage ?

> I do know that this code already existed for a long time on the website
> of the original author and no one took it down because of problems,
>
> And I just ported it to a newer version of rsync.
>
> Although I have to admit, rsync 2 was possible covered by GPLv2 and
> newer and rsync 3 is GPLv3.

Having put more thought into this, I think it could mean in the worst
case, that IF I'm not allowed (which I doubt at this moment) to
distribute the compiled rsync.exe binaries, that it's still possible
for people to build it themselfs. Just like their used to be a
qmail-installed in Debian, which would compile it for you.

I could even make a shell-script. :-)