BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-06 03:43:28
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Alex <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 03:34:44 -0400
[quote="Leen Besselink"]Alex wrote:

> Sorry for the post, this is about  rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
> available here :
> http://www.consolejunky.net/cwrsync-vss/
>
> (not used to post from this forum)
>

> Alex wrote:
>
> > Hi, thank you for the post. This seem to be a great tool, hope we'll get it
> > working with backuppc.

Hi Alex,

> > I've tried to use it with backuppc running rsync as a daemon on the
> > backuped comp, but i get an error.
> >
> > I think it comes from a protocol version compatibility problem (Backuppc
> > use perl rsync implementation wich look for protocol 28, as far as i've
> > seen).
> >
> > If i use your rsync.exe as a daemon on the windows XP pc, it run great and
> > i can connect without problem using rsync binary. But, when trying to
> > backup with backuppc, using "rsyncd" method, i get the following error :
> > Got fatal error during xfer (Child exited prematurely)

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised it works at all on Windows XP.

Even without testing it, I got the impression the first build wouldn't work on
Windows XP.

Did you do your own build ?

I just did and it works with standard Linux rsync-client and Windows XP
rsync-binary. I have some doubts about it
working with backuppc, if protocol 28 is the highest it supports.

Anyway the Windows XP-binary is:

http://www.consolejunky.net/cwrsync-vss/rsync-xp.exe

I usually also keep it together with the same cygwin1.dll, unless you already
have a complete cygwin installation.

http://www.consolejunky.net/cwrsync-vss/cygwin1.dll

> > I've tried using the "protocol=28" option in my rsyncd conf file, but it
> > says "ignoring unknown parameter".
> >
> > Did you get it working with backuppc already ?

No I didn't, or atleast not test it and I didn't know until recently that
BackupPC uses it's own implementation of rsync-client.

This is kind of still a bit of a development-release, I posted to this
mailinglist in the hopes to get some idea of what
people need or want (first).

It seems some people wanted a Windows XP-binary, so I created one.  :-)

> > Thank you in advance for any information ;)
> >
> > Alex

Hi, have to say that this is an ever wanted great tool, btw, i really thank you
for that, as this might help a lot even out off the backuppc context !

I'm interested in it. As you say it works normaly as an rsync server, but with
the backuppc rsync implementation, nope.

Hope someone who better knows backuppc will help telling us if this would be
possible to run with backuppc rsyncd Xfer method. I'm not expert enough to help
on developpment purpose (just good enough to compile and try :p ).

I'm sure a lot of people will be intrested in getting this wonderfull stuff
working with backuppc (rsync with VSS inside) as it'll allow us to backup all
the (open) files as most of Windows backup softwares do.

Thank you for your answer ;)

Alexandre