BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] problem backing up hosts

2009-06-08 02:16:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] problem backing up hosts
From: "Benedict simon" <simon AT kmun.gov DOT kw>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:36:02 +0300 (AST)
> Benedict simon wrote:
>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am new to backupPC and do have a problem with backing up a Linux hosts
>> here is my configuration
>>
>> i have a Backup PC server on Centos 5.3
>> i have downloaded installed backuppc as per intructions form the site
>> but
>> from source rpm
>> also installed the required perl modules
>>

> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/9547999/com/BackupPC-3.1.0-2.el5.noarch.rpm.html
>>
>> I am using rsync to backup another centos OS ( my first client)
>>
>> now when i say start full backup from the GUI it say started fullubackup
>> of host hostname...
>>
>> but in my XferLOG i see
>>
>> -----------
>> full backup started for directory /var/spool/mail
>> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root kmdns1 /usr/bin/rsync --server
>> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
>> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /var/spool/mail/
>> Xfer PIDs are now 16127
>> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
>> Tried again: got 0 bytes
>> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
>> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
>> Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
>> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
>> prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>>
>> --------------
>>
>> as per the docs this error is usaually caused when the backuppc user
>> cannot ssh without a pasword to the client.
>>
>> I have configured SSh corectly and the key exchange is fine
>>
>> cause when i run the command as user backuppc on the Backuppc server
>>
>> ssh -l root kmdns1 whoami ( where kmdns1) is my hostname
>> it prints
>> root
>>
>> my /etc/BackupPC/hosts file
>> # The first non-comment non-empty line gives the field names and should
>> # not be edited!!
>> #
>> host        dhcp    user    moreUsers     # <--- do not edit this line
>> #
>> kmdns1          0       admin   backuppc
>> #farside    0       craig   jill,jeff     # <--- example static IP host
>> #entry
>> #larson     1       bill                  # <--- example DHCP host entry
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> admin s the default user created when i used the rpm command to install
>> backuppc and (--backuppc--) is the user i have added and also in
>> apache.users file ..
>> tried login into the web CGI with both users bu the same error
>>

>> really would apprecite your help and kind advice
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> simon
> Do you have rsync --daemon running on kmdns1
> [...]

Dear Mattias,

Thanks and appreciate your reply.

actually i solved the problem

let me expalin how

actually my backuppc server was on 172.16.2.0/24 nwtwork and i was backin
up a host on 172.16.3.0/24 .
these 2 networks hav a firewall.( im using shoreline firewall)

now from backuppc server i could ping the client and also
when i ran the command

ssh -l root kmdns1 whoami ( where kmdns1) is my hostname
it prints
 root

but the backup was not staring .

i jus moved the backuppc server on 172.16.3.0/24 newtork and it worked
like a charm

any good links how to backup clients on another network or a different subnet

thanks and regards

simon

--
Network ADMIN