BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-06 06:25:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Leen Besselink <leen AT consolejunky DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:19:27 +0200
> Hi, have to say that this is an ever wanted great tool, btw, i really thank
> you for that, as this might help a lot even out off the backuppc context !

I'm not a backuppc user myself. I was trying to help myself. :-)

> I'm interested in it. As you say it works normaly as an rsync server, but
> with the backuppc rsync implementation, nope.

Have you tested with the Windows XP version I created with backuppc ?

Because I don't have a backuppc setup here, judging by what you said, you do.

But I have tested with an old version of rsync, which just supports protocol 28
and it works.

I have a feeling backuppc might work too, you'll lose the extra efficiency of
'incremental filelist', but you'll gain backup of open files.

> Hope someone who better knows backuppc will help telling us if this would be
> possible to run with backuppc rsyncd Xfer method.
> I'm not expert enough to help on developpment purpose (just good enough to
> compile and try :p ).

Actually, what I've done isn't really all that hard, most of the work was
already done by Elias, I'm not sure why no one took that code
and kept porting it to new versions.

My guess is, because at the time you also had to patch cygwin, if I understand
correctly, but that's not needed anymore. Which possible
makes it a lot easier.

> I'm sure a lot of people will be intrested in getting this wonderfull stuff
> working with backuppc (rsync with VSS inside) as it'll
> allow us to backup all the (open) files as most of Windows backup softwares
> do.

Someone still needs to test with different versions of Windows (Vista, 7, 2008).