BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-08 14:18:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 13:11:02 -0500
Leen Besselink wrote:
>>> So Les, what do you think ? If you look at my current webpage ?
>> I don't know enough about GPLv3 to comment, but I'd expect it to
>> prohibit including any portions that can't be distributed under GPL
>> terms like v2 does.  Dynamic linking to expected OS libs is probably OK
>> if you don't have to include them.
>>

> I don't include the libraries (I did include something the first time
> in the buildfiles vss.tgz, which was a mistaken), the libraries it uses
> are already installed with the default windows install.

If you don't actually include any code through static linking and it
doesn't require an extra dynamic library to be installed then you are
probably OK.  If the GPL prohibited using the stock system libraries and
kernel interfaces you wouldn't be able to the standard version of rsync
on windows either.  The restrictions are about code that needs to be
included and thus falling under the 'work as a whole' license
requirement.  I was assuming that the SDK included (and required)
library code that wasn't shipped with windows.