BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-23 10:25:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:20:54 -0400
Alex wrote at about 10:04:12 -0400 on Tuesday, June 23, 2009:

 > Hello,
 > back again, just still experimenting this solution, everything is ok while
 > reading.
 >
 > But, i'm used to restore data on Windows PC using the chmod command
 > "--chmod=Dugo+rwx,Fugo+rwx" to allow user to read files.
 >
 > Because rsync runs as daemon under system account, writen files are not
 > readable, so i use the chmod.
 >
 > This work great with the "normal" rsync.exe binary, but with the one using
 > VSS (wich is perfect for backup) the chmod doesn't work.
 >
 > I think there's something to do with the fact that VSS is active by default,
 > and then, when writing data, it first write to VSS and then sync to drive.
 > In this case, chmod doesn't work, and restored file is not readable.

Are you sure? At least on Win XP, VSS is read-only.
If what you say is true, I would think that either chmod is not
properly implemented in the VSS version of rsync or there is a
permissions issue whereby the Windows side of rsync is running under a
user that doesn't have permission to execute the chmod.

 > So, may you help ? I think getting the ability to disable VSS using flag
 > like "--novss" could be great for restoration purposes.

Not sure how you would add a new flag on the Linux side without
rewriting the Linux version of rsync too.

 > Hope you understand what i mean, et maybe you got an idea. I use rsync as a
 > deamon using deltacopy on the windows side.
 >
 > Thank you for any help/idea/new version :p ....

A temporary situation would be to use the normal (e.g., cygwin)
version of rsync for restores and only use the VSS version for backups.