Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]

2005-02-04 15:04:35
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:58:59 -0500
On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 14:36 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

The cable IS completely disconnected from the scsi card and the cd-rom IS the only
device on that cable.  This is what is so strange.  I did this test thinking it might
fix my problem since I am down from 2-internal, 1-external on the same card to
1-internal, 1-external. Both of which are terminated.  The CD powered off should
have little to do with the problem since it is not connected to anything.

The cd should be disconnected from the scsi cable entirely for that
test.  Puyrchance is it the last device, on the last connector?  In
which case it should have the terms turned on and power applied, or
some other means of terminating the cable's end applied to the cable
when its unplugged from the data cable.

I am thinking about ordering an Lsi Logic LSIU80ALVD card ($70)  and dedicate to this new device.
But I am not sure if the sym53c87xx-2 linux driver will work for it on the alpha.  It should since
that driver works for the present card.  For $70, it is worth a test, no ?

The Exabyte tech did specify an LVD card, but I think he is going for performance.  I am just trying to
get the thing to work at this point.