Amanda-Users

Getting Amanda to production

2005-02-04 14:48:27
Subject: Getting Amanda to production
From: "Gil Naveh" <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
To: "Amanda-Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:43:55 -0500
hello,

I have a few question in mind so I'll be able to better configure it.
1) So far I tested Amanda and backed up data on a hard drive and am quit
happy with the results. Recently we got a new tape drive and I need to start
backing up our data into taps. I am going to use the same Amanda server and
clients. Should and if so how do I initialize Amanda so it won't care about
previous backups? Additionally I'll probably have to do some more testing in
order to see how much time/bandwidth Amanda uses when it backup to our tape
drive. But after doing those tests - can I delete those files from the tape?

2) I understand that Amanda has its algorithm that decides when do to a full
backup, or an incremental one.
   But I am a little confused with labeling tapes. (amlabel)
   When I used the hard-disk I define each hard-drive 'partition' as 4GB and
then amlabel each disk e.g.
   #/usr/sbin/amlabel DailySet1 HISS01 slot 1
   #/usr/sbin/amlabel DailySet1 HISS02 slot 2 ...
   However, I have tapes that each can store 400 compress data, and we have
to store about 30GB - am I domed to use each tape for one backup - or can I
'partition' those tapes?
  Do I have to put each tape in the tape drive and run amlabel?

3) We have a local and remote sites that we have to backup any thoughts,
comments on what should I keep in mine before doing so. Additionally any
recommendation for what to use to secure our data when backing up remotely?
I read that I can use TCP wrappers but how do I implement it with Amanda?

4) Finally, we have one tape drive and about 20 servers that we need to
backup from. Some of those servers run on Solaris, some on Windows. Can I
back all servers on the same tape, or do I need to set separate tapes for
Win machines?

Many thanks,
gil