Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues -- a scsi question added

2005-02-14 16:18:12
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues -- a scsi question added
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:11:35 -0500
On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:55:31PM -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
> I have the new scsi card (an inexpensive LSILogic LSIU80ALVDB) that
> fixes the problems I was having.  So, the Exabyte tech support was
> correct and the great advice I got herein this mailing list also said
> "get a separate scsi card" !
>
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 16:20 -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
>
> > I am near positive I did not fry anything since everything is working
> > correctly except a sustained write to the tape.

I recently read an article on trouble shooting I/O performance.
Most was related to disk I/O, but one tiny piece caught my eye
and could be related.

The writer claimed that on a SCSI bus the lower ID numbers were given
precedence (priority?), the effect of which was felt during heavy usage.
Further, this effect could particularly be felt by tape drives with high
SCSI numbers.  During heavy total I/O on the bus they would lose their
ability to stream more easily than if they had lower ID's.

For those intimate with Miss SCSI, any comments?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)