Amanda-Users

Re: Getting Amanda to production

2005-02-04 15:57:04
Subject: Re: Getting Amanda to production
From: Gavin Henry <ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com>
To: "Amanda-Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:49:35 +0000
On Friday 04 Feb 2005 19:43, you wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have a few question in mind so I'll be able to better configure it.
> 1) So far I tested Amanda and backed up data on a hard drive and am quit
> happy with the results. Recently we got a new tape drive and I need to
> start backing up our data into taps. I am going to use the same Amanda
> server and clients. Should and if so how do I initialize Amanda so it won't
> care about previous backups?

Just modify your disklist entries etc. If you don't care, Amanda won't care.
As long as you use amlabel the new tapes.

> Additionally I'll probably have to do some
> more testing in order to see how much time/bandwidth Amanda uses when it
> backup to our tape drive. But after doing those tests - can I delete those
> files from the tape?

Just over write them or remove them with amadmin

> 2) I understand that Amanda has its algorithm that decides when do to a
> full backup, or an incremental one.
>    But I am a little confused with labeling tapes. (amlabel)
>    When I used the hard-disk I define each hard-drive 'partition' as 4GB
> and then amlabel each disk e.g.
>    #/usr/sbin/amlabel DailySet1 HISS01 slot 1
>    #/usr/sbin/amlabel DailySet1 HISS02 slot 2 ...
>    However, I have tapes that each can store 400 compress data, and we have
> to store about 30GB - am I domed to use each tape for one backup - or can I
> 'partition' those tapes?

Yes, one tape for one backup and you can't partition the tapes, but one backup
can be many clients.

>   Do I have to put each tape in the tape drive and run amlabel?

Of course, how would Amanda know what tapes to use?

> 3) We have a local and remote sites that we have to backup any thoughts,
> comments on what should I keep in mine before doing so. Additionally any
> recommendation for what to use to secure our data when backing up remotely?

I would use rsync to get the remote files if they are across the internet and
then backup the machine they go to.

> I read that I can use TCP wrappers but how do I implement it with Amanda?

This is in the docs.

> 4) Finally, we have one tape drive and about 20 servers that we need to
> backup from. Some of those servers run on Solaris, some on Windows. Can I
> back all servers on the same tape, or do I need to set separate tapes for
> Win machines?

All one tape, just get teh right clients installed.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.