Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues -- a scsi question added

2005-02-15 04:59:39
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues -- a scsi question added
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:53:55 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> The writer claimed that on a SCSI bus the lower ID numbers were given
> precedence (priority?), the effect of which was felt during heavy usage.
> Further, this effect could particularly be felt by tape drives with high
> SCSI numbers.  During heavy total I/O on the bus they would lose their
> ability to stream more easily than if they had lower ID's.

I thought[*] 7 was the highest priority, and 0 the lowest (on a narrow
channel).  Wide devices have an even lower priority: 15 to 8.

So you have in decreasing order of priority:

    7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

[*] I'm not 100% sure about the actual order, but I'm sure there was a
    discontinuity between narrow and wide devices, so only the above ordering
    makes sense, unless I'm missing something.
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds