Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]

2005-02-04 13:44:46
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:31:24 -0500
Interesting test.  I powered down and disconnected the narrow 50-pin cable from card and unplugged
the power cable from the CD-ROM on the other end.  In this configuration, there is
one wide 80-pin cable with 3 hard drives + 1 VXA-1 tape drive on the internal connection
to the card.  The new packet-loader is on the external connector.  Now turn on and  reboot.

The Alphabios recognizes the devices correctly, milo boots up, then switches to
the linux kernel to boot up and the system just stops.  I repeated this several times
and checked all connections and also tried several available kernel choices.  Same thing.

Then I powered down, and reconnected the same narrow 50-pin cable back to the
same configuration and now the system boots and behaves just as before.

I am wondering now if there is some type of jumper on this pci card that enables/disables
the connectors such that if the internal 50-pin is enabled, it has to find a device to
boot; and perhaps a similar issue with the external connector ?

I mhave been searching the net for a manual on this scsi card and cannot seem to find
one since apparently symbios no longer keeps them for the ncr53c875 card ?

What scsi card to buy for this Alpha machine ?

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:04 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 04 February 2005 10:12, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, James D. Freels wrote:
>> The tape drive is within the VXA-2 Packet-Loader 1U rack mount.
>> It is connected via an external
>> scsi cable that came with the drive.  the unit also came with it's
>> own terminator which is also plugged into the
>> packet loader.  The packet-loader is the only device connected to
>> the scsi card externaly.
>>
>> Inside, the scsi card has both a scsi-1 and scsi-2 connector.  The
>
>You mean, a narrow and a wide connector?
>
>> scsi-1 connector has a single device
>> connected (the CD-Rom).  The scsi-2 connector has the rest of the
>> devices connected on a single cable
>> (3 hard drives, 1 VXA-1 Exabyte tape drive).  It is a fairly long
>> cable, with about 8 inches of cable separating each
>> device.  The last device on the cable is the VXA-1 tape drive
>> followed by a termination on the cable itself.
>
>So the cabling is your problem: you should use maximum 2 of the 3
> connectors on a SCSI card, since it's supposed to be a single long
> chain without branches.

Said another way, that card may well have the narrow connector in
parallel with the wider one, and if thats the case, serious term
problems are in store.  FWIW Geert, all 7 connectors on a given cable
can be used, provided the terms are removed from every device but the
last one, and the last device is truely on the end of the cable.  And
the term power supplied is up to specs.  The 4.3 to 4.4 volts you get
by way of the average cards isolation diode isn't spec by the .6
to .7 volts missing due to that isolation diode.

Now, where both the internal connectors on the card and the external
connector are in use as this person indicates, then the card, which
may have automatic terminations, must terminate ONLY those lines of
the wide bus that do not go on out via the rear panel connector to
any narrow devices at that end of the cable.  The card, as far as the
original 8 bit data bus portion of the 50 pin cable, effectively
becomes a wired or device in the middle of the transmission line and
must not terminate those lines.  I'm not fam with this card, but most
of the cards have an either/or term control, effectively rendering a
lashup such as is being described here, pretty much unworkable.  My
best card was that advansys, and it did not have the ability to
terminate just the high order lines, which is what would be required
here.

I'd recommend strongly that this person get another scsi card, and put
the tape drive on it by itself, so that he has all the internal
devices on one card, and the external device on the other.  Life will
be simplified considerably.