Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]

2005-02-04 10:17:58
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:12:02 +0100 (MET)
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, James D. Freels wrote:
> The tape drive is within the VXA-2 Packet-Loader 1U rack mount.  It is
> connected via an external
> scsi cable that came with the drive.  the unit also came with it's own
> terminator which is also plugged into the
> packet loader.  The packet-loader is the only device connected to the
> scsi card externaly.
>
> Inside, the scsi card has both a scsi-1 and scsi-2 connector.  The

You mean, a narrow and a wide connector?

> scsi-1 connector has a single device
> connected (the CD-Rom).  The scsi-2 connector has the rest of the
> devices connected on a single cable
> (3 hard drives, 1 VXA-1 Exabyte tape drive).  It is a fairly long cable,
> with about 8 inches of cable separating each
> device.  The last device on the cable is the VXA-1 tape drive followed
> by a termination on the cable itself.

So the cabling is your problem: you should use maximum 2 of the 3 connectors on
a SCSI card, since it's supposed to be a single long chain without branches.

It's the same on mine (I have one with internal narrow and wide, and external
wide connectors).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds