Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]

2005-02-04 10:18:33
Subject: Re: VXA-2 packet-loader issues and AMANDA [Fwd: hard luck with the new autoloader]
From: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:06:08 -0500
The tape drive is within the VXA-2 Packet-Loader 1U rack mount.  It is connected via an external
scsi cable that came with the drive.  the unit also came with it's own terminator which is also plugged into the
packet loader.  The packet-loader is the only device connected to the scsi card externaly.

Inside, the scsi card has both a scsi-1 and scsi-2 connector.  The scsi-1 connector has a single device
connected (the CD-Rom).  The scsi-2 connector has the rest of the devices connected on a single cable
(3 hard drives, 1 VXA-1 Exabyte tape drive).  It is a fairly long cable, with about 8 inches of cable separating each
device.  The last device on the cable is the VXA-1 tape drive followed by a termination on the cable itself.

I guess I could go back and try the sym53c8xx-2 driver with more conservative settings on the options and
test again.

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 15:54 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, James D. Freels wrote:
> When you say "cabling" issues, does this include a separate scsi card
> specific for the
> tape drive ?  I think my cable connections are good.

The cable may be too long, or not properly terminated.

> The scsi card I have is a "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic (formerly NCR)
> 53c875 (rev 04)"
> All devices are indicating on boot up (dmesg) at 40 MB/s except the
> CD-Rom which
> is indicating 10 MB/s.  I have 3 hard drives, 2 tape drives (including
> the new one
> having trouble), and 1 CD-Rom in this scsi chain.  I have tried all
> three scsi drivers
> available for this card in the linux kernel 1) ncr53c8xx, 2) sym53c8xx,
> and 3) sym53c8xx-2.
> The ncr53c8xx driver seems to give the least problems, so I have
> concentrated on
> this one.  As I said, the "library" (autoloader) seems to work

The ncr53c8xx driver is the very old one, sym53c8xx-2 is the new one. Actually
I've used all 3 of them with a 53c875 on a Linux/PPC box. sym53c8xx-2 (the
preferred one) should work fine.

> correctly, but it
> is just the tape writing that is giving me problems at present.  It is
> able to label the tapes,
> but not write a larger data set to the tape.

Is the tape drive the last device on the cable?
You already have 6 devices (7 incl. the SCSI adapter), so the cable cannot be
that long. How long is it?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k DOT org

							    -- Linus Torvalds