Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar versions (was: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar)

2005-01-16 17:07:36
Subject: Re: GNU tar versions (was: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Kurt Raschke <kurt AT raschke DOT net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:57:28 -0500
On Sunday 16 January 2005 15:47, Kurt Raschke wrote:
>On Jan 16, 2005, at 4:25 AM, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> For the record:
>> plain gtar 1.12 needs to be patched to handle large files (> 2GB).
>> plain gtar 1.13 makes bad index-lists which amrecover cannot
>> handle, as does the rarely used 1.13.9x, which changed the
>> index-format again in an incompatible way.
>>
>> In production environment I use only 1.13.19 or 1.13.25 currently.
>
>There is also a tar 1.15 release out now; can anyone comment on its
>compatibility with AMANDA?  I'm asking mainly because 1.13.25 is
>getting rather old.
>
>-Kurt

I'll find out tonight, I just got 1.15-1 and installed it, then added
a line to my config driver script telling it where the new tar was,
and its re-installing 2.4.5b1-20041221 now.  amcheck seems to be
happy, so tonights run should tell the story.

As they say on the radio, stay tuned for further developements.

Here, gtar was installed in /bin/gtar, and the new tar is
in /usr/local/bin/tar' so the script I use got a new line:
----------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
 echo
 echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
 echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
 echo "but must be installed by user root."
 echo
 exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
 --with-group=disk \
 --with-owner=amanda \
 --with-gnu-ld \
 --prefix=/usr/local \
 --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
 --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
 --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
 --with-amandahosts \
 --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
 --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar

make

Hopefully this is enough to make it use the newer tar. It logs in as:

[amanda@coyote amanda-2.4.5b1-20041221]$ /usr/local/bin/tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1

And I didn't give it anything special when I ran ./configure to build
it.  Should I have?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: