Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar versions (was: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar)

2005-01-17 11:12:38
Subject: Re: GNU tar versions (was: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar)
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:56:30 -0500
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 04:45:18AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> So I'm puzzled as to whether I'm still doing something wrong, or this
> new tar doesn't recognize the '-f... -' for the stdin from a pipe
> option.

That "..." is a placeholder for "x or t, with whatever other
options you want, e.g. v"; you're not meant to type it literally.

> /bin/gtar: ./.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/cdrom.desktop: time stamp
> 2020-04-27 15:36:21 is 482063157 s in the future

Do the original files have the same bad timestamps?  That'll
determine whether this is really a bug or version incompatibility
in tar, or just a case of shooting the messenger...

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"