Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar versions

2005-01-17 12:42:27
Subject: Re: GNU tar versions
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:33:30 -0500
On Monday 17 January 2005 06:28, Toomas Aas wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But whats the deal with amrecover?  That config dir its asking for
>> hasn't existed on this system for many months, and many, many
>> updates of amanda's build as I normally stay with the latest 2.4.5
>> snapshots.
>
>Do you specify the switch --with-config=Daily when you ./configure
>Amanda? If you don't, Amanda uses it's built-in default DailySet1.
> You can override the default at run time with 'amrecover -C Daily'.

Thanks, thats one thing I'd never managed to stick in my little gh.cf
script.  Tis now!  And it (amrecover) works much better now, all I
have to do is a setdisk to point it at the /partition/files I want,
and an ls then shows me all of it.

If I cd locally to the area I want to recover, then its all automatic,
an ls shows me whats available.  Nice.  Here all this time it was
just a few minor details that kept amrecover from being usefull.

I think the only gotcha in my persent lashup is that my disklist uses
the machines FQDN alias, eg "coyote" as opposed to
"coyote.coyote.den" and "gene" as opposed to "gene.coyote.den".  I
have both the FQDN and the alias entered into my ~.amanahosts file,
but I see amrecover hunting around before it finds the host server,
which it does, but that could alarm a brand gnu bee. :-)

I was gonna change that to FQDN, but then it would be 18 days before I
had an uptodate index dir again.  Nuh-huh.  Amanda and I can live
with this.

I'm glad I decided to tackle this new version of tar, its also
prompted me to fix a couple of other little niggles and learn a few
things about amrecover at the same time, which is always good.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: