Amanda-Users

Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar

2005-01-15 16:10:07
Subject: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar
From: Kurt Raschke <kurt AT raschke DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:57:44 -0500
I am using an AMANDA server on Linux to back up a Solaris 9 system, among other clients, and I am noticing that the dumps are failing for reasons that would ordinarily not cause a dump to fail:

/-- fire /var lev 1 FAILED [sec 0.306 kb 82 kps 267.3 orig-kb 1250]
sendbackup: start [fire:/var level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/sfw/bin/gtar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/usr/sfw/bin/gtar -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
? gtar: ./log/syslog: file changed as we read it
| Total bytes written: 60436480
? gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
??error [/usr/sfw/bin/gtar returned 2]? dumper: strange [missing size line from sendbackup]
\--------

Now, on some of my other Linux clients, "file changed as we read it" causes a "STRANGE", but not "FAILED", and the backup completes fully (with the exception of files that were in use). However, on this Solaris client, it appears as though the backup terminates as soon as it hits a file that is in use or that it cannot open.

I am using the AMANDA and GNU tar packages from the Sun Freeware collection.

What can I do about this?

Thanks,

Kurt Raschke