Amanda-Users

short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size

2005-01-17 03:15:25
Subject: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size
From: Peter Guhl <pgnews AT siconline DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:56:03 +0100
Hello

I still have my "short write"-Problem. The weekly backup fails and every
amflush fails too - even though the tape (DLT) is 10 times bigger than
any data left on the holding disk.

Does somebody have any clue? We tried all sorts of software tests using
amcheck, mt etc. without any result. Sometimes when I manually start
amdump it works well but sometimes it doesn't.

When it fails the failing part is /var of the backup server. Do I have
to invoke some special parameters in disklist or in amdump (I have heard
about something like "-l" for backing up live file systems - but I don't
know to which program "-l" has to be applied). I heard rumors of special
SCSI-Parameters too...

The Server is a Compaq Proliant running FreeBSD 4.x

Any tip would be greatly appreciated (the customer is close to kill
me...).

Regards
   Peter