Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar versions (was: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar)

2005-01-17 11:59:57
Subject: Re: GNU tar versions (was: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:43:31 -0500
On Monday 17 January 2005 10:56, Eric Siegerman wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 04:45:18AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> So I'm puzzled as to whether I'm still doing something wrong, or
>> this new tar doesn't recognize the '-f... -' for the stdin from a
>> pipe option.
>
>That "..." is a placeholder for "x or t, with whatever other
>options you want, e.g. v"; you're not meant to type it literally.
>
>> /bin/gtar: ./.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/cdrom.desktop: time
>> stamp 2020-04-27 15:36:21 is 482063157 s in the future
>
>Do the original files have the same bad timestamps?  That'll
>determine whether this is really a bug or version incompatibility
>in tar, or just a case of shooting the messenger...

Well, since both versions show the same errors, I'd have to assume the
error is real in the files themselves.  I have years old messages in
my inbox here that carry dates in the middle of the 2020's because of
that.  But TBT, I haven't looked at the specific files mentioned
either.

This system has been known to have a totally bogus clock for an hour
or so after a crash, so much so that I now have a call to ntpdate
-settime in my rc.local file, to crash set the clock correctly, and
thats been working pretty good as long as the bootup can find the
module eth0 needs called 'forcedeth' and I have networking.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: