Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar versions

2005-01-17 13:36:30
Subject: Re: GNU tar versions
From: Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:19:49 +0100
Andreas Sundstrom wrote:
Kurt Raschke wrote:

On Jan 16, 2005, at 4:25 AM, Paul Bijnens wrote:

For the record:
plain gtar 1.12 needs to be patched to handle large files (> 2GB).
plain gtar 1.13 makes bad index-lists which amrecover cannot handle,
as does the rarely used 1.13.9x, which changed the index-format again
in an incompatible way.

In production environment I use only 1.13.19 or 1.13.25 currently.

There is also a tar 1.15 release out now; can anyone comment on its compatibility with AMANDA? I'm asking mainly because 1.13.25 is getting rather old.

-Kurt

There is an 1.15.1 and I have recently installed it but I have done very limited testing of it together with amanda. Will be doing some more test restores soon.

I have now done some testing with amrecover and amverify. Everything works ok for me with 1.15.1 so far. I don't know exactly what causes the sparse files problem though.. It might be that I'm not affected by it in my configuration.

/Andreas