Amanda-Users

Re: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar

2005-01-15 17:58:48
Subject: Re: Backups failing on Solaris 9 with GNU tar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:52:15 -0500
On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 05:26:08PM -0500, Kurt Raschke wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2005, at 4:38 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
> >First thought here:
> >Look for the GNUtar-version.
> >1.13.25 should work.
> >Newer releases are known to cause problems.
> >
> >Apart from that we could need more infos:
> >
> >Did you do any changes/updates on this client lately, has it worked
> >before?
>

> Well, it's a brand-new install, so I suppose you could say it has never
> worked before.
>
> As to the tar version:
>
> bash-2.05$ gtar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13
>
> Does 1.13.25 come after 1.13?  If so, then I will upgrade gtar and see
> if that helps.

That one is DEFINITELY defective as far as amanda usage.
Nothing to do with your current problem however.
It is an easy build if you have the C compiler already installed.

As to the other problem:  amanda maintains a list of error messages
from various programs that it considers innocuous.  There is a
config macro IGNORE_TAR_ERRORS to increase the number of guntar
messages considered innocuous.  Perhaps the Solaris version was
compiled without this macro while the others were compiled with.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)