Amanda-Users

Re: Full Backup Configuration

2003-01-19 11:56:23
Subject: Re: Full Backup Configuration
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:03:54 -0500
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:25:50PM +0100, Chris Karakas wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >
> > While I agree basically with you there can be cases where the scheduler
> > fights a specific situation.  Suppose my Level 0's are 9-10 GB total
> > and I'm using a DDS2 tape with 4GB capacity with a dumpcycle of 3 days.
> > Works well for a single tape/dump usage with the Level 0's spread out.
> > Further suppose I'm a small business with activity and operators available
> > M-F only.  Thus I want to do 5 dumps a week.  However, every Monday, after
> > missing dumps on 2 days, amanda will believe it is time for Level 0's for
> > everything.
>
> Indeed, it is! :-)
>
> > No spreading of Level 0's at all.
>
> Why do you say this? The 0's are *due* on Monday, in your example above.

It is when you go with amanda's scheduling yes.  But if I would like only
work days/weekdays/??? to be considered, it is just the next dump day after
Friday, not 3 days after Friday.

> Some of them will not make it to the tape, because the tape is smaller
> than all the full backups, that's clear. AMANDA will find out the ones
> that fit on the tape, under the restriction that there will be enough
> space to also copy the incrementals (at least those that are very
> important). So, ideally, some of the full backups will be on the tape,
> as well as all incrementals. The rest of the fulls will be "delayed" and

Forgot to mention, my hypothetical config also has sufficient unreserved
holding disk, so all the fulls are done on Monday.  Which is not the
behavior I want.

I know this is not normal behavior, but it is not totally unreasonable
and it is what Jeremy was asking about.  His idea about a long dumpcycle
and runspercycle of 3 sounds like it may have a chance of working.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)