Amanda-Users

Re: Full Backup Configuration

2003-01-20 20:05:18
Subject: Re: Full Backup Configuration
From: David Raistrick <drais AT wow.atlasta DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:49:34 -0800 (PST)
> >Thats the generally accepted practice, with amanda supposedly
> >compensating for the case of dumpcycle = 1 week, and
> >runsperdumpcycle = 5.  I think this is general target area of the
> >current discussion.  But then I'm not an real expert, I just play
> >one here, sometimes pretty foolishly... :-)
>
> Actually though,  the situation being discussed here is:
> dumpcycle = 3
> backup MTWRF  not SSu
> Why does a full always come due on M  rather than rotating
> through the week?

For what its (belatedly) work, I use amanda with:

dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 5
tapecycle 10 tapes

And this gives me 1 full dump of each filesystem once each week. This
leaves me with the "current" set, plus last week's set.

(I recall this was right out of the Unix Backup & Recovery book..)

My backups run monday AM through friday AM.

I'm not sure what the original poster was actually looking to achieve
though...

....david

---
david raistrick