Amanda-Users

Re: Full Backup Configuration

2003-01-18 09:58:44
Subject: Re: Full Backup Configuration
From: Karakas AT t-online DOT de (Chris Karakas)
To: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:16:24 +0100
DK Smith wrote:
> Do most amanda configs (with changers) run amdump every weekday (M-F) and
> skip running amdump on weekends? I see this sort of idiom stated as "the way"
> for Amanda, however I am not so sure this well-documented idiom is actually
> used in practice. Or is it?

Well, I use AMANDA mostly during the week, but *I reserve the right*
(and I do use it occasionally) to use it also on weekends. I think
trying to get AMANDA to ignore Saturdays and Sundays in its time
calculations is outside the way it currently functions and would require
extra programming and configuration parameters (perhaps a whole calender
function to click off the days that should not "count" as such...)
which, in the end of ends, will make life more complicated instead of
easier (as it is now, as far as backups are concerned ;-)).

My experience is that there is absolutely no meaning in trying to mess
with AMANDA and interfere in the way she does the backups - she does it
so optimally, that every other effort will be suboptimal! So let her do
the work and go home! Next day, or Monday, you'll have this or that on
your tapes - 0 levels, 1 levels and so on. So what? You wanted that 0
level to be on Tuesday? Why? This thinking will only bring you trouble.
The AMANDA "philosophy" is "you press the button, AMANDA decides for
you".

--
Regards

Chris Karakas