Amanda-Users

Re: Full Backup Configuration

2003-01-17 19:10:44
Subject: Re: Full Backup Configuration
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Deb Baddorf <baddorf AT fnal DOT gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:32:25 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 at 5:00pm, Deb Baddorf wrote

> At 05:26 PM 1/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Friday 17 January 2003 16:04, DK Smith wrote:
> > >In this discussion, talking about discounting days of of the week
> > > etc... is there an inherent assumption here that the amdump is
> > > invoked once per day? Or is that not a factor in the behavior of
> > > the system?
> >
> >Thats the generally accepted practice, with amanda supposedly
> >compensating for the case of dumpcycle = 1 week, and
> >runsperdumpcycle = 5.  I think this is general target area of the
> >current discussion.  But then I'm not an real expert, I just play
> >one here, sometimes pretty foolishly... :-)
>
> Actually though,  the situation being discussed here is:
> dumpcycle = 3
> backup MTWRF  not SSu
> Why does a full always come due on M  rather than rotating
> through the week?
>
> There is an inherent assumption that Saturday and Sunday
> really exist ... so when you say dumpcycle of ... well, any number,
> amanda continues to count Saturday and Sunday.    The question
> here is "can we ask amanda to bend reality"  and ignore Sat and
> Sun entirely.
>      We're asking to define a "work week"   rather than a
> "real time"  week.   Apparently the lady (amanda) only knows
> real time, just because *she* is willing to work any day of
> the week!

Is there a reason the dumpcycle *must* be 3 days, or is it just because
you can fit a full load of level 0s + level 1s in 3 tapes?  If the latter,
why not just use dumpcycle=1 week, runspercycle=5, and let amanda promote
dumps?  Amanda won't try to maximize tape usage, but it will try to
equalize it.  And, IME, that means dumps often get promoted, i.e. level 0s
get done before they're due.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering