Amanda-Users

Re: Three-*run* dumpcycle [was: Full Backup Configuration]

2003-01-20 15:29:41
Subject: Re: Three-*run* dumpcycle [was: Full Backup Configuration]
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:57:40 -0800
On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:15:19PM -0600, Deb Baddorf wrote:
> thinking that he'd get a full backup every third day that
> he said  "amdump" .... and that Sat, Sun would be ignored
> if he didn't call amdump those days.   But since amanda
> knows about a 7 day week ..... she wouldn't forget them.
> And I'm not sure if a config can be made, that will to do what
> he wanted.

Deb, Jon-- Sorry for being so dense, I get it now.

So what is being asked for is an option to specify dumpcycle in units
of *runs*, instead of in *days*.  This would touch a lot of places in
the source, but it's certainly possible, if someone wanted it badly
enough to do the work.  :-)

For example, I think you would want to extend curinfo to track *all*
the last "dumpcycle" worth of runs (it currently only contains the ones
that "matter".

If you used this hypothetical option, runspercycle becomes meaningless
and is discarded/ignored.  So for example, instead of:

    dumpcycle           7 days
    runspercycle        6
    tapecycle           30

you would have:

    dumpcycle           6 runs
    tapecycle           30

...and amanda would not care if the runs were 1 day apart, or 1 year
apart.  Interesting idea (though not what most folk would want).

Jon LaBadie said:
> No, the OP wanted a 3 day dumpcycle but only running dumps 5 days a
> week, weekdays.  Problem was that Fri -> Mon was an entire dumpcycle
> so Monday always gave level 0 of everything, no spreading of levels.

Assuming Jeremy's tapecycle is reasonably generous (say, >10 tapes)
you could probably fake this up by just swapping two amanda.conf
files back and forth; they would be identical except that:

    Monday's amanda.conf:
    dumpcycle 5

    All other days' amanda.conf:
    dumpcycle 3

As long as tapecycle was big enough, I think that might actually
work.  You would probably just maintain one amanda.conf and have
your wrapper script change it on Monday...

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461