Amanda-Users

Re: Full Backup Configuration

2003-01-17 18:31:16
Subject: Re: Full Backup Configuration
From: Deb Baddorf <baddorf AT fnal DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:00:58 -0600
At 05:26 PM 1/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
On Friday 17 January 2003 16:04, DK Smith wrote:
>In this discussion, talking about discounting days of of the week
> etc... is there an inherent assumption here that the amdump is
> invoked once per day? Or is that not a factor in the behavior of
> the system?

Thats the generally accepted practice, with amanda supposedly
compensating for the case of dumpcycle = 1 week, and
runsperdumpcycle = 5.  I think this is general target area of the
current discussion.  But then I'm not an real expert, I just play
one here, sometimes pretty foolishly... :-)

Actually though,  the situation being discussed here is:
dumpcycle = 3
backup MTWRF  not SSu
Why does a full always come due on M  rather than rotating
through the week?

There is an inherent assumption that Saturday and Sunday
really exist ... so when you say dumpcycle of ... well, any number,
amanda continues to count Saturday and Sunday.    The question
here is "can we ask amanda to bend reality"  and ignore Sat and
Sun entirely.
    We're asking to define a "work week"   rather than a
"real time"  week.   Apparently the lady (amanda) only knows
real time, just because *she* is willing to work any day of
the week!

Deb Baddorf

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M

Deb Baddorf         baddorf AT fnal DOT gov              840-2289
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
- George Burns                                          <IXOYE><