Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to Set a Job Level with a Schedule without Scheduling the Job?

2009-12-02 09:20:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to Set a Job Level with a Schedule without Scheduling the Job?
From: Clark Hartness <chartness AT camgian DOT com>
To: 'Arno Lehmann' <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:17:19 -0600
Hi Arno,

-----Original Message-----
From: Arno Lehmann [mailto:al AT its-lehmann DOT de]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:19 AM
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to Set a Job Level with a
Schedule without Scheduling the Job?

Hello,

02.12.2009 01:02, Clark Hartness wrote:
> Arno said:
>
> "alternatively, you could run your script from a RunScript resource in the
Job."

If that's all your script does, you can use its output as the file list to
back up directly: "If the vertical bar (|) in front of my_partitions is
preceded by a backslash as in \|, the program will be executed on the
Client's machine instead of on the Director's machine." from
http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/install/install/Configuring_Director.
html#SECTION00670000000000000000

files.  In short it decends ICManage and Synchronicity Workspaces listing
files that are not protected by Revision control.  But it also marshals the
files and writes other files to allow for management allowing users to be
notified if they fail to check in files on a regular basis and clean up
unneed files from work areas.

So, instead of

>   Include {
>     Options {
>         compression=GZIP
>         signature = MD5
>     }
>     # Backup Specific Files Not Under Revision Control
>     File = "\\</var/lib/bacula/cyswaps.workspaces"
>   }

you could to
File="\\|/path/to/your.script" if the script just prints the files to back
up to stdout.

Of course, you could do other things in the script as well, as long as they
don't produce output, like actually creating some of the files to back up.

You might end up with a situation where the backup level doesn't matter, for
example if you create files in the script, they will always be new and thus
picked up by jobs of any level.

retention/recycling schedule as we are in the early stages of this
development.  By using the crontab to call the bacula job I have the ability
to test if the file list exists or if it is complete assuring the script did
not fail.  I have incorporated a function to determine the dayofweek and
currently the crontab will call a level=full on Saturday and default to
incrementals other days.

Clark

Arno

RunScript On the Client it would use whatever files were in the list at the
time the Scheduler started the job not the files that were generated by the
script.  So basically the file list from the previous run was being backed
up and not the list from the current run of the script.

> Clark

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück