Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Sun's incompetence

2009-12-01 11:27:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Sun's incompetence
From: Robert Hartzell <bear AT rwhartzell DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:25:04 -0700
Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Robert Hartzell wrote:
>> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> <serious-flame>
>>>
>>> I very seldom complain publicly about vendors such as Sun Microsystems, so
>>> this is a bit unusual.  Just to note, in 1983, Sun was the first Unix
>>> system
>>> that I had ever used, and I continuously used it until about 1998, when I
>>> switched to Linux.  Their OS was quite stable and worked with a lot of high
>>> end equipment.  I enjoyed working with it, but found that Linux OS was very
>>> nice and worked with much cheaper and more available hardware (the reason
>>> for
>>> my switch to Linux).
>>>
>>> Recently I tried loading OpenSolaris in a VM, and I discovered that they
>>> somehow have remained frozen in time in 1998 and had not significantly
>>> improved their user interface -- a big disappointment for me.  I ended up
>>> with a default system that had a Java user interface and a /home/kern that
>>> was read-only (can you imagine that by default your home directory is
>>> read-only?).  I finally gave up.
>> What do you mean by "Java user interface"? Opensolaris is currently
>> using Gnome Desktop version 2.28.0
>
> I'm not sure what OpenSolaris version is in use these days or how much
> different it is from Solaris 10, but Solaris 10 is using something they
> they call Java Desktop, but I believe it is a skinned GNOME as well. The
> interface may look the same as 1998 (some would call that a selling
> point -- I'm personally indifferent), but it's current stuff.

I think the stable release is 2009.06 (build 111) and the dev builds are
released roughly every two weeks (currenly build 127).
It's trivial to image-update to the latest snapshot... and if something
goes wrong just a reboot to get back to a stable release.

>> Are you using the automounter to mount /export/home/kern to /home/kern?
>> if autofs is turned on (default) you can't write to /home because thats
>> where the user directories are mounted
>
> Ah! I was confused about this one myself. Solaris doesn't use /home/kern
> anyhow, it would tend to use /export/home/kern. When that's the
> convention, you just go with it, and you tend not to run into these
> problems.
>
>>> I would have been happy to leave things there, but Sun has not stopped
>>> making
>>> my life difficult.  First they bought MySQL, which is heavily used by
>>> Bacula
>>> users.  Their latest source prerelease for Solaris, which two of our
>>> regression testers were using was simply broken and did not work.  Great,
>>> Sun
>>> buys MySQL and breaks it!  I can understand why the MySQL developers are
>>> leaving and MariaDB was created -- what a pity.
>> This was due to a compiler bug:
>> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=49091
>> a simple fix is to use mysql5 instead of the default mysql51
>>   "pkg install SUNWmysql5"
>
> Thanks for the information -- this made me a little nervous, but I
> figured that it wasn't really the way it sounded. I don't even think Sun
> is that intimately involved in MySQL at this point, are they? At least
> not non-MySQL Sun people.
>
>>> For the last several users I have been using VirtualBox.  It has worked
>>> perfectly.  Recently, my RHEL 64 when applying upgrades upgraded from RHEL
>>> 5.3 to 5.4, then shortly later, the VM hard disk image destroyed itself.
>>> The
>>> first time in 2 or 3 years that I had any problem.  OK, that kind of thing
>>> can happen.
>
> What is "destroyed itself?"
>
>>> So, I upgraded from VirtualBox version 2.2 to version 3.1 on my Xeon
>>> machine.
>>> In doing so, the new Virtual box has destroyed *all* the VM images that I
>>> had
>>> (8-10).  I don't know if you have ever setup and configured a VM, but it is
>>> not a trivial amount of work.
>
> Very peculiar. I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4 to 3.0 (no 3.1 yet) and I have
> not had any problems. I suppose I might want to back up my VM's though.

I have a system set up as a VBoxHeadless server and have upgraded many
times without issue. I have my .VirtualBox directory setup on its own
zfs file system so i can do a snapshot before the upgrade. If the
upgrade goes bad just do a zfs rollback.

>>> As far as I am concerned Sun OpenSource software venture stinks.  I think
>>> with
>>> all the noise about Oracle buying them, and their blunders in
>>> implementation
>>> of OpenSolaris, MySQL, and VirtualBox, they have little chance of surviving
>>> in the Open Source software market.  Perhaps their high-end hardware
>>> offerings will fare better.
>
> They have a lot of faults (I would say the documentation that never
> quite seems to relate to what I'm actually doing, the fact that you can
> call tech support and get nine different answers, the fact that if the
> question is hard, they may just not get back to you, etc...), but I
> haven't run into any of these and continue to rate my experience with
> them as largely positive.

Opensolaris documentation lags behind thats for sure but then again
isn't that true for most software... I've never delt with Sun tech
support or for that matter any other vendors tech support. Online forums
  always have worked for me.

Since I installed Opensolaris I've been very pleased and have never
looked back.

--
   Robert W Hartzell
bear at rwhartzell.net