Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Sun's incompetence

2009-12-01 11:34:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Sun's incompetence
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:32:45 +0100
On Tuesday 01 December 2009 17:15:40 Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >>
> >> What do you mean by "Java user interface"? Opensolaris is currently
> >> using Gnome Desktop version 2.28.0
> >
> > That surprised me too.  It was a full Java user interface, and all I did
> > was about 6 months ago install an OpenSolaris.  It is possible that they
> > gave me the choice between two user interfaces and I made the bad choice.
>
> "Java Desktop" is what Sun is calling their Gnome-based desktop, afaik.
>  They do offer two interface choices out of the box: the Gnome "Java
> Desktop", or CDE.  Much though I detest Gnome, it's the more usable of
> the two.

Hmmm.  That sounds like what I saw. I vaguely remember trying CDE, but it was
too different, so I chose the Gnome desktop, which like you I don't
particularly like, but I can work with it.  However, Gnome running under or
implemented in Java makes it *much* slower and nothing like what I would call
a "normal"  Gnome desktop running under X Window.

Oh, well.  I guess if I try again, it isn't going to be any better than what I
already saw.  Sun has a really nice, stable OS, with ZFS.  Too bad they
cannot publish a modern GUI -- even their old Sun Windows was better looking
than what I saw.

Regards,

Kern